"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ~Albus Dumbledore

Friday 29 April 2011

Friday Twenty-Ninth - Royal Wedding

Yes, it was the Royal Wedding today, just in case you've been living in a cave the last few months and hadn't heard. Since the engagement announcement, I was happy for them but on a personal level, I wasn't all that fussed. However, this morning, I was clued to the TV from 8 until half 1, watching the guests arrive, the crowds, the service, the procession and the balcony. I have to admit, parts were dry and a little bit boring, but Kate, or rather Catherine, looked beautiful in her dress and the Prince's looked handsome in their uniforms. Poor William looked nervous in the car from Clarence House to Westminster but when Kate walked up the aisle and he turned to her, I saw him mouth "you're beautiful" to her and she just glowed. It was adorable!

Maybe it's just the romantic in me but I was really happy for both of them, smiling and holding hands as they came out of the Abbey.

And the balcony. It's become a sort of tradition for the wedding party to come out onto the balcony of Buckingham Palace and they were ... well, rumours may not be the right word, but chances were that the couple would have their first public kiss as a married couple on the balcony. And ... yep, you guessed it; they did! The cheer in the crowds was amazing.




It's not just that they are my monarchy. In the world we live in now, with all our technological advances but also the terror, fear and war, this was just what we needed. A reminder of what the world can accomplish, that it is beautiful. And you know what? For one of the first times, today I felt proud to be British.

No comments:

Post a Comment