"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ~Albus Dumbledore

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Ultimate Classmates

My friend Sarah and I were feeling lonely yesterday in our seminar class. On a table of six, we were the only one's sat there. So, while we were waiting for our tutor to turn up, Sarah turned to me and said 'We don't need people to sit there, we can make some up!' And, pointing to the seat opposite her, she asked 'Who should sit there?' Without a moment's hesitation, I said 'Alan Rickman'. I have no idea what he could contribute to our seminar on 'The Woman in White' but I wanted him to sit with us.

This went on for a few minutes, getting funnier and more pathetic by the second, until we had a full table. Going anti-clockwise, starting with Sarah and then me, we had:
- Mary Shelley - we thought, as we were discussing the Gothic novel, we needed a Gothic author. Plus, we didn't want Horace Walpole, who kind of creeps me out
- Alan Rickman - for no other immediate reason then because I like him. Plus, we believe he would have something intelligent to say (more intelligent than us at least)
- Benedict Cumberbatch - I think he came up because we are currently obsessed with Sherlock and also because he has the most amazing voice. We both fantasised of him reading passages aloud from the novel
- Stephen King had to replace John Barrowman, as we felt John would not get on with Mary Shelley, due to his "extreme" personality. I originally wanted him to join us because with our tutor, we end up talking about sex or grave-diggers or other random topics that he thinks are relevant... anyway, I think John would find our talks hilarious.

And that's it. As the late-comers arrived, we actually found ourselves not wanting anyone to sit with us, as thy would take one of our imaginary guests away. During the hour's class, we did occasionally whisper to each other things like 'Imagine Benedict reading this out loud' or 'I don't think Mary Shelley would agree with that'.

Yeah, that is how sad and pathetic we are. Have any ideas who you would want to sit with you in class?

Anyway, I am spending this extra day of the year at university. I am currently in between classes and trying to write an essay on Joseph Andrews but failing miserably. Maybe that's because it's lunchtime? Hmm. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment